The School of Public Policy and Administration (SPPA) offers two undergraduate certificates – Professional Certificate in Public Administration and Law and Professional Certificate in Public Policy Analysis The Certificates are designed to be streamlined at 24 credits each with flexibility to choose from a list of relevant courses under the PPAS course rubric.
The certificates may be completed concurrently with York undergraduate degrees or as a direct-entry program. The certificates can be completed by full-time and part-time students alike.
Students seeking to pursue the certificate as a stand-alone program must apply to the Office of Admissions, York University using the on-line application form for future students. Admission to the stand-alone certificate program requires students to have normally completed an undergraduate degree in any discipline with minimum cumulative GPA of 5.00.
The certificates are also eligible for financial aid funding through OSAP. The cost code that students must use when applying for funding is: CERTLAPS1 For complete OSAP information and to apply online, go to the government's OSAP website.
In the stand-alone certificate program students may be granted up to 6 credits of advanced standing based on their previous studies completed no later than seven years prior to entry into the certificate program. Advanced standing credits will be awarded at the discretion of the undergraduate program director at the School of Public Policy and Administration based on his or her assessment of the student's academic record.
Students already enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at York University need to apply for entry into this certificate through the School of Public Policy and Administration Office (download form here: SPPA Certificate Application for current York students). Students should have completed at least 24 credits with a minimum cumulative GPA of 5.00.
For more information on the Certificates, please contact the SPPA Undergraduate Program Director at: email@example.com
Professional Certificate in Public Administration and Law
The 24-credit certificate is a professional certificate aimed at individuals who wish to combine knowledge of public administration and law with expertise in another area demonstrated through the achievement of at least an undergraduate degree. This reflects the fact that the public sector employs individuals from diverse professional backgrounds, but their progress through the ranks typically requires an understanding of the legal and administrative aspects of government. Upon completion of the certificate, students will:
- have a working knowledge of public administration and its hierarchy
- have an understanding of the role of law within government
- be familiar with the legal as well as administrative workings of government
- be able to analyze the relationship between law, politics and public administration in a critical manner.
- possess research skills in social science research as it pertains to public law and public administration, and in basic legal research.
Professional Certificate in Public Policy Analysis
The 24-credit Professional Certificate in Public Policy Analysis will appeal to individuals who have an interest in public policy analysis and who want their academic record to reflect the completion of a cluster of courses in public policy analysis in a formal way. Upon completion of the certificate, students will be competent to perform analysis of public policies in light of the role of government in civil society through:
- linking theory to practice
- having an understanding of financing of public policy programs including revenue sources and the decision-making rules for the allocation of funds;
- familiarity with the implementation of public policies through the structures of public administration;
- knowledge of the impact of social and economic policies;
- well-developed research and critical thinking skills;
- practical project-based experience in some of the optional courses with an experiential education component.